· Pay attention to your water bill and become familiar with your water meter - use them to track your water use and detect leaks.
· Purchase appliances that offer water- and energy-efficient cycle options.
· Fix leaky plumbing fixtures, faucets, and appliances in the house.
· Show children how to turn off the faucets completely after each use.
· Locate your master water shut-off valve, so that water can be saved if a pipe bursts.
· Install aerators on every faucet. This could save you as much as 1 gallon every minute you use them.
· Be aware! Listen for drips and leaks around the house.